I have racked my brain trying to think of something to write about today. You know, every time I tried to think of a topic, only one thing kept coming to my mind, Prayer. I think someone is trying to tell me something so I quit fighting it. What is prayer to you? How often do you pray and do you have a reason for your prayer (not that you need one).
Prayer is our communication with God, or whom or whatever you worship. There are at least five types of prayer.
1. Asking for forgiveness – For me this one is an absolute necessity. Since the only perfect person left this world over 2000 years ago, I can’t be perfect. I may try to convince my husband I am at times, but since the Lord knows me inside and out, he knows I fall off the wagon occasionally (so to speak).
2. Adoration This is the praise and worship type of prayer. I choose to adore my Lord. There is no one above him and never shall be. The act of faith is a prayer of adoration.
3. Love – I think the prayer of love is tied to the adoration. You can’t give spirit filled love to our Father without the adoration.
4. petition – For some, this is the only prayer they know, Lord I need, Lord I want, Lord would you please, Lord I’m begging. This type is when we pray when we need something. With a prayer of petition we should always prayer to accept Gods will whether he answers directly or not. I know God answers prayer. I learned the hard way. Be careful what you pray for because you may get it.
5. Thanksgiving – This is probably the most neglected prayer type. It’s the prayer of thanksgiving. While grace before meals is a good example of a prayer of thanksgiving, we should get into the habit of thanking God throughout the day for the good things that happen to us and to others.
Have you noticed anything while you were reading these types of prayer. The one thing I noticed was when I pray, or I hear someone else pray, it includes all five of these types, at the same time. We make sure we cover all the bases.
We are taught to pray always, pray with faith in Jesus, pray with sincerity, and pray with real intent (ready to do God’s will).
My prayer for you: My dear Lord and Savior, I thank you for the blessings you have given to me this day. I praise they name. Lord I asked that you bless each person who is reading this prayer. Put your arms around them and relieve them of burdens they carry. Guide them and bless them as only you can. Let everyone know that through you all things are possible. In Jesus name. Amen.